Holiday Home Insurance


How does holiday home insurance work?

Our in-house underwriting team will review your holiday home insurance requirements and liaise with our panel of specialist insurers to find the most suitable holiday home cover policy for your needs.   

We can discuss a wide range of property and contents requirements, and whatever your needs, your personal client manager will ensure you get the perfect fit for your second home insurance. 

What does holiday home insurance cover?

Whether your second home is your personal haven or let out as a commercial holiday property, we know that each home is unique, so your policy should be too. When your insure your holiday home with us, we’ll make sure that your policy is tailored to protect the things which make it special to you. 

You can choose the kind of cover you need from our range of second home cover options, including buildings cover, landlord’s contents cover, and property owner’s liability.

Read more on how holiday home insurance differs from standard home insurance here. 

With our holiday home insurance, you can receive cover for: 

  • Damage caused by fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake and aircraft 
  • Theft and attempted theft at the property 
  • Cover for replacing locks, safes, or alarms following a theft or loss of keys 
  • Accidental damage on contents 
  • £2,000,000 property owners’ liability cover 
  • £5,000,000 employers’ liability cover 
  • Varying excess, which lowers when the property is occupied 
  • A choice to cover buildings only or to include contents cover  

Get your holiday home insurance quote

Send us a message here and we’ll get in touch to give you a holiday home insurance quote or help with any query around second home insurance cover. 

We can arrange tailored

Protection even when you're not there

We understand that, at some points throughout the year, your second home might be left unoccupied. Our holiday home insurance policy is designed with this in mind, and is tailored to keep your second home safe when you’re not there, so you can have peace of mind knowing it’s covered all year round.

Cover for unoccupancy can include cover for damage such as: fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, storm, flood, subsidence, ground heave or landslip, as well as escape of water or oil, theft and riot damage. For a full range of cover options, please speak to one of our advisors.

In case of unoccupancy, your second home must be visited at least once every 30 days, either by you or a trusted representative. You should aim to keep a record of dates, time and any observations of the property, as this will be needed in the event of a claim.

A family socialising in their holiday home garden.

Additional cover for

Your occupied holiday home

To keep your holiday home as protected as possible, we provide a range of additional cover options when your property is occupied. This includes protection for:

  • Property owner’s liability cover up to £2,000,000
  • Accidental breakage of sanitary fittings, fixed glass, solar panels and ceramic hobs
  • Accidental damage to underground services which extend from your home to the public mains for which you are legally responsible
  • Loss of rent or alternative accommodation up to a maximum of 20% of the building sum insured, for a maximum period of 12 months
  • Communal contents cover up to a maximum of £5,000
  • Emergency access to the premises subject to an aggregate maximum of £5,000
  • Trace and access cover, subject to an aggregate maximum of £5,000


Holiday Home Insurance: FAQs

What is holiday home insurance?

Holiday home insurance provides comprehensive protection for your second home, whether used personally, rented out, or a mix of both. It covers various risks, including fire, theft, and accidental damage, ensuring peace of mind for homeowners across the UK, in Europe or worldwide (in select countries).

Why do I need insurance for my holiday home?

Insuring your holiday home is vital to protect your investment against unexpected events such as natural disasters, theft, and accidental damage. It also provides liability coverage, safeguarding against claims made by renters or visitors.

Can holiday home insurance cover unoccupancy?

Yes, holiday home insurance policies can include cover for when your property is unoccupied, offering protection against risks like fire, storm damage, theft, and more. Specific requirements, such as regular property checks, may apply.

Do I need special insurance for a holiday let?

Yes, a holiday let requires special insurance beyond standard home insurance to adequately cover the unique risks of renting out to guests, including property damage and liability claims.

How can I get a quote for holiday home insurance?

To get a holiday home insurance quote, you can speak to our team of specialists. We can tailor a policy to meet your specific needs and provide comprehensive protection for your holiday home.

How much does second home insurance cost?

Your exact cost will depend totally on the nature of your property and its contents. Once again, our in-house underwriting team will review your exact requirements and liaise with our panel of specialist insurers to find the most suitable, and cost-effective, holiday home cover policy for your needs.   

How does the home insurance claims process work?

Every claim, while following the same key steps, will depend somewhat on the exact nature of your claim and the theft, loss and/or damage. We can say with confidence that we only work with insurers who are known for a clear, simple and helpful holiday home insurance claims process and who will take care of you every step of the way if something does go wrong. 

Find out more about our second home insurance claim process on our making a claim page. 

Contact us

Send us a message below to get in touch. We aim to respond to all queries sent before 5pm the same working day in the week, and the next working day if you message us in the evening or at the weekend.